This is a six month pilot project sponsored by NOVIB/SNV Kenya under their small projects fund. The aim was to address lack of social mobilization on health issues; inaccessible health facilities; scarcity of medical personnel and health promoters at grassroots level; and people’s inability to get the prescribed drugs due to poverty.
The objectives were:
- To introduce and popularize the concept of community based health promoters.
- Link CHWs and the established local health delivery systems.
- Provide 20 Bicycles and Drug kits for the CHWs to facilitate door-to-door counseling. (bicycles for easy movement/drugs for first line treatment services within the community)
- Introduce a new concept to the rural women; use of the female condom as a women’s empowerment tool, to be used in the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS
<< Presentation of bicycles/drug kits (20) to ECODEV’s CHWs by Assistant Chief of Kapuonja south sub location in red jersey at Kapuonja Community Centre in Kisumu District, presided over by Aga Khan hospital Kisumu community project representative; Representative of Community elders; facilitated by ECODEV Programs Director.
The Project addressed;
- lack of social mobilization on health issues;
- Linking CHWs/patients to health facilities;
- Complimented the government efforts in addressing scarcity of drugs at grassroots level
- empowered women to exercise their rights in using the female condom.